On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, yinung at Gmail wrote:

> I've tested these commands in gretl 1.8.5cvs (built date 2009-11-06)
> under winXP and the problems remained.
>
> ? "figure 1.3" <- gnuplot djclose --with-lines --time-series
> figure 1: no such object

You can't use "." in the names of objects; we should make that
clearer.

> ? "figure 1-3" <- gnuplot djclose --with-lines --time-series
> figure 1-3 saved

OK.

> ? "figure 2-3" <- gnuplot djclose
> Command has insufficient arguments

True enough, not enough arguments.  You can't plot a single
variable without at least giving the --time-series flag.

> ? "figure 2-3" <- gnuplot djclose djclose(-1)
> figure 2-3 replaced

OK.

> And if the gnuplot comes with Chinese Characters "XX", no error
> occrured in the command line:
> "figure 2-3XX" <- gnuplot djclose --with-lines --time-series
>
> for example, I run
> ? "figure 2-3圖" <- gnuplot djclose --with-lines --time-series
> figure 2-3圖 saved
>
> But open this graph in icon view, gretl reports "unspecified error" as
> mentioned in the eariler mail.

That one sounds like a bug, but it's not a bug I can reproduce on
Linux.  I'll have to try testing on Windows when I get a chance.

You could see if anything informative appears on stderr in this
case, by running gretl in debugging mode:

  gretlw32.exe --debug

Allin.