On Wed, 6 Feb 2019, valerie von arx wrote:

> I already worked in the past with gretl and it was working
> perfectly. Suddenly, today when i tried to graph something the
> software told me:
>
> “ Gnuplot is broken or too old: must be >= version 5.0 “

Further thoughts. I checked the current gretl release, 2019a, on a
Macbook Air running Yosemite (OS X 10.10.5). Plotting went fine and
the packaged gnuplot is version 5.2.4, so "too old" does not apply.

That leaves "broken"... I guess it's possible that an OS X system
update removed a library that gretl's gnuplot needs. You could check
for this by opening a Terminal window (under Applications/Utilities
in the Finder) and executing the following command:

/Applications/Gretl.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot.sh

If gnuplot can't start then hopefully there will an error message
that gives us a clue.

One other thing: In gretl you could go to Tools/Preferences/General
and the Programs tab, and see what's entered for "Command to launch
gnuplot". The entry should either be just "gnuplot", or else
"/Applications/Gretl.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot" -- anything
else is likely to cause gretl plotting to fail.

Allin