On 15/12/2010 22:15, internet-dra...@ietf.org wrote:
This document proposes a simple protocol, BMP, which can be used to
monitor BGP sessions.  BMP is intended to provide a more convenient
interface for obtaining route views for research purpose than the
screen-scraping approach in common use today.  The design goals are
to keep BMP simple, useful, easily implemented, and minimally
service-affecting.  BMP is not suitable for use as a routing
protocol.

from a conceptual point of view:

1. I can see several immediate problems implementing this on a route server in the context of section 5 (e.g. scaling on large systems, multiple LocRIBs on same bgp instance, etc)

2. I would much prefer to see support for bgp4mibv2 on regular routers, rather than a completely new tool (although I do acknowledge the necessity of being able to peek into ribs, and that snmp is woefully inadequate for this job).

From a details point of view:

1. please encode 1970-epoch timestamps as 64 bits, not 32. 32 bits will break before I retire.

2. ASCII.  Sigh.

3. maybe TLS/SSL instead of ipsec? It's not that I loathe ipsec (I don't); it's just that ssl is much easier to implement, as there are well understood client system APIs for it.

4. address encoding: would it not be wise from an implementation point of view to include the protocol number near the address fields, on the basis that ipv4 == len(4) and ipv6 == len(16) is, well, a bit hacky? What if there's some other protocol in future which might want to use BMP?

Nick

--
Network Ability Ltd. | Head of Operations      | Tel: +353 1 6169698
3 Westland Square    | INEX - Internet Neutral | Fax: +353 1 6041981