On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM, john heasley <h...@shrubbery.net> wrote:

>> > This was discussed before, if I recall correctly.
>>
>> That's correct.  In fact because of the divergence between -00 and -01, I
>> took pains to make this clear when presenting -01, including at NANOG and
>> GROW and probably other places.  Those interested in the history should be
>> able to find the slides easily enough.
>
> why does this matter?  sure, adj-rib-in is MUST, but can that not be
> configurable which is (are) exported?

I'm not sure what you're advocating to be configurable. Loc_RIB isn't
interesting, you can get that by BGP-peering with the router if you're
content to have the data obscured by best path selection. I'm not
interested in turning BMP into a protocol for debugging malformed BGP
updates, syslog already does that adequately. BMP is meant to do one
job: allow a real computer to reproduce the Adj_RIB_In of a router, in
a way that protects the router against conditions such as a bad
receiver implementation or congestion loss between the speaker and the
receiver.

Stephen