On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Brian Dickson
<brian.peter.dick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are a couple of easy ways to ensure the WITHDRAW is not missed:
> - Pack all the WITHDRAW stuff at the start
> - Require that no UPDATE be sent in the same MESSAGE as a WITHDRAW, and
> preferably limit WITHDRAW to one AFI/SAFI per MESSAGE

The change you are proposing is sensible and has minimal cost to the
control-plane CPU.

BGP already can only have one, two, or three AFI/SAFI per Message.
The reason it's "one, two, or three" is there can be native NLRI and
MP-NLRI in one Message.

You are not allowed to send more than one Attribute of the same Type
Code in a BGP Message.  There can't be two MP_REACH_NLRI or two
MP_UNREACH_NLRI.

The rule about one attribute per type code is kind of buried in
RFC4271 section 6.3 paragraph 14.  I imagine not everyone is aware of
this because it really is not written into the spec in a way that it
jumps out at you!

Here is how this plus MP-BGP combine to allow up to three NLRI in the
same Message:
1) native NLRI which are either reachable or withdrawn
2) NLRI inside an MP_REACH_NLRI Attribute
3) NLRI inside an MP_UNREACH_NLRI Attribute

All three of those could possibly have distinct AFI/SAFI today.  But
it's not like it is possible to have NLRIs for 10 different AFIs in
one Message today.

I'm sure this discussion is related to draft-ietf-idr-error-handling.
This draft does not call for a BGP Capability Code.  It needs one if
it expects the neighbor to behave in a certain way which differs from
existing BGP requirements.  I have posted some discussion about this
on the IDR list recently but I do not read GROW.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <j...@inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts