Hi Rob,

> we are still questioning the validity of the problem space.

I am not sure where do you draw such impression from ? I think we are
all clear that there is problem .. from time to time a bleeding wound
appears.

However it seems that there is serious concern if the cure proposed is
the right one. It appears that the treat-as-withdraw is a piece of
duck tape so the rest of the body can sort of function. One could
argue that while for some this may even work if the wound is small,
imagine such duck tape being applied on 1 meter wound ? Moreover such
cut will not recover under duck tape.

So to me it seems this is a valid debate if it is better to reset the
guy and send him to hospital for proper bandage or stitching while
counting on the co-pilot(s) (other BGP sessions) to seamlessly carry
the services for customers in the mean time.

I think your draft and even the proposed solution is the best for the
current BGP4 transport of messages for the cases where some bug is
remote and you would likely end-up resetting perhaps all of your
upstream sessions .. no doubt. But we have no way of knowing that
network wide and I think this one of the problems. Clearly in this
case it is better to put even duck tape on the pilots so they can try
to land rather then sit and watch the plane crash.

Actually real life example:

I have discovered last week in one of BGP implementation that BGP
conditional advertisement will not kick in till the trigger  (check
condition) disappears completely from BGP table even if it's next hop
is no longer present in global RIB. One could call this a bug, but it
is one example where while today I can automatically prefer other exit
when session goes down with treat-as-withdraw and keep-the-session-up
this will no longer work as trigger route will happily continue to sit
in BGP table. And with treat-as-withdraw being default in some cases
after new software upgrade your expected BGP behavior will change. I
doubt you will find this example described in the release notes too ;)

Best,
R.