Thomas,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 09:40:00AM +0000, Thomas Mangin wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
> I would be curious to hearing your view on the possible risks the new 
> un-regulated, vendor controlled, space this draft creates as your document is 
> silent about it.

This was commented somewhat further in IDR and also during my code points
presentation in IDR at IETF 97 (suggested reading).

There is somewhat of a need for fully private space.  We're starting to see
this very strongly in data center contexts wherein BGP is used as a
transport and there's significant danger of contamination of fully internal
features leaking into the public Internet.  But as I mentioned in the IDR
thread, this was not my initial motivation for the draft.  It does, however,
serve as a fine starting point for that discussion.

> I can not see why I would want to implement your draft as a step toward 
> implementing another draft (the end goal) which does not require it at all, 
> unless it is intended to be used like like MultiProtocol as a generic 
> extension mechanism and not only a test feature.
> The implementation difficulty is not the barrier: I can perfectly see how I 
> could change the class inheritance of ExaBGP while keeping the attribute 
> interface to implement your draft.
> 
> We need to fix a human problem : laziness, lack of time or information 
> leading to the squatting. 

As noted in my code point presentation, laziness is *not* the issue.  As you
note in your own response, developers need something they can use when TBD
is specified.

> In my view, asking over-worked developers / teams to add some complex code to 
> test new features mean will not lead to a behavioural change.
> All that is required is to give the developer the playground they need to not 
> bother network operation, as the dangers caused by transitive nature of 
> attributes were already fixed with RFC7606. 
> 
> “Public” IANA resource such as IP and ASN have “private” ranges, among other 
> reason, for experimentation.

Private is an excellent example.  If a particular path attribute code space
was marked private, this doesn't stop the issue of collisions.  If your
implementation uses 240 and another uses 240, you'll run into the same
treat-as-withdraw encoding problems we've seen with other forms of
squatting.

Essentially, private doesn't help you.  Neither does a playground.  

The fundamental issue, as noted in the code point presentation, is that BGP
path attributes have a large "blast radius".  It's very difficult to keep
them localized in their current form and thus there's a need to be very
strict about what is used globally.

> I my naive view, every draft could simply cherry pick a code. The numbers of 
> “in-flight documents” is not high, I would expect simple self-policing on 
> list to be enough with a large enough resource pool.
> Should a clash occur, a new draft can quickly fix the issue. Happy to hear if 
> others have better ideas.

Such "cherry picking" is essentially just squatting.  It's also antisocial
in global BGP.  If someone has code deployed in a transit scenario wherein
they're squatting on something that was intended to be globally deployed,
the code point is outright toxic now: you can't safely use it for either
feature.  This is why there's 4 code points going through IANA deprecation
in IDR right now.

Don't make this 5+.

> But if an operator is willing / care enough to use experimental features in 
> his production network and/or with another operator, I am pretty sure they 
> will have the motivation to make sure to do their due diligence to make sure 
> there is no clashes.

They don't have the tools.

> Perhaps the solution would be to required a “disabled until explicitly 
> enabled on iBGP” default behaviour for these attribute codes.

iBGP doesn't make this safe.

> Optional explicit configuration of the feature eBGP session is something I 
> would expect vendors to add due to customer/user demand :-)

I do comment on this even in the experimental context in my draft.  However,
this doesn't work safely in a squatting context.

-- Jeff

_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

Reply via email to