Hi,

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:16:55PM +0100, Job Snijders wrote:
> With this BCP Internet-Draft we hope to draw some attention to good
> practises which can be applied by IP networks or IXPs to mitigate
> negative impact caused by maintenance operations on lower layer
> networks. The idea is to promote the concept of breaking the
> control-plane in a controlled fashion, before actually breaking the
> data-plane.

I like the concept.

Wording-wise, there is room for misunderstanding in the current version,
2.2.1:

2.2.1.  Packet Filter Considerations

   The packet filter should be designed and specified in a way that:

   o  only affect link-local BGP traffic i.e. forming part of the
      control plane of the system described, rather than multihop BGP
      which merely transits

it says "link-local", but what it wants is not "fe80::" but "the prefixes
the intermediate network uses for on-link peering" (plus, maybe, fe80::).

So maybe "only affect *on-link* BGP traffic"?

[..]
> ps. Some may point out that this is a rampant layering violation, to which I
> will say: "yes". ;-)

And a useful one :-)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279