On 22 Jun 2017, at 21:47, Job Snijders wrote:

Hi all, a few comments below:

NEW (in Pre-configuration):
   On each ASBR supporting the g-shut procedure, an inbound BGP route
   policy is applied on all BGP sessions of the ASBR, that:
   o  matches the g-shut community
o sets the LOCAL_PREF attribute of the paths tagged with the g-shut
      community to a low value (a value of zero is recommended).

Since we define some terminology in 2., we should use it:

On each g-shut neighbor ASBR, an inbound BGP route policy is applied on all BGP sessions of the ASBR, that:

I don’t think the ‘neighbor’ / ‘initiator’ terminology is very clear, but I struggle to find more appropriate terms right now. ‘g-shut receiver’?

NEW (in Operations at maintenance time):
   On the g-shut initiator, upon maintenance time, it is required to:
o apply an outbound BGP route policy on the maintained EBGP session
      to tag the paths propagated over the session with the g-shut
      community. This will trigger the BGP implementation to re-
      advertise all active routes previously advertised, and tag them
      with the g-shut community.
   o  apply an inbound BGP route policy on the maintained EBGP session
      to tag the paths received over the session with the g-shut
      community and set a low LOCAL_PREF value.

‘Maintained’ (in ‘maintained EBGP session’) is not a useful word to use here, since ultimately the session is not to be maintained at all! Perhaps “eBGP session” is clear enough, or use ‘impacted’ or ‘relevant’.

I have a further comment on section 6. Link Up cases. I rather feel this is a separate body of work, and belongs in some sort of ‘gshut-bis’ where we can extend on this technique. Certainly there is nothing in the rest of the draft which prevents the use of gshut technique to improve link-up behaviour, so I would remove sections 6/6.1/6.2 for clarity.

Behaviour in relation to next-hop reachability across a multi-access network is of particular interest to me as an IXP operator, and is probably a whole topic of its own.

--
Will Hargrave
Technical Director