Hi,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 09:53:08AM +0100, Job Snijders wrote:
> Yes, route servers can be very useful, no question about it. I think
> their value as a service would increase if they become visible
> participants of the routing ecosystem.

Not sure about that.  IXP participants know where the route is coming
from, and why should it be of anyone else's concern whether I have a
direct peering with you, or use a RS for it?

> Gert, do you think it would affect your operations if the route server
> would insert its ASN into the AS_PATH?

Yes.  BGP works by comparing AS path lengths, you know :-) - and that
would cause significant work as direct peerings would automatically
have shorter AS paths than via-route-server peerings.

Thus, traffic shift, which needs to compensated - like, by adding
extra prepends to direct peerings - which would have consequences for
the AS path lenghts seen by our customers.

In other words: we asked for AS-Path transparent RSes 15 years ago, and
this is still what we want today.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279