From: Robert Raszuk [mailto:rob...@raszuk.net]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 6:05 PM
To: Guyunan (Yunan Gu, IP Technology Research Dept. NW) <guyu...@huawei.com>
Cc: grow@ietf.org; Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dick...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [GROW] I-D Action:
draft-chen-grow-enhanced-as-loop-detection-00.txt

> In the BGP Update received from the eBGP peer, the eBGP peer has already
> placed the local AS number in the
> AS-PATH. Thus, the device needs to analyze if the local AS is placed
> improperly in the AS-PATH when it receives
> the Update.

How is this different from basic AS-PATH loop detection done by any real BGP
speaker today ?

Yunan: To the best of my knowledge, currently when an as loop is detected, the
message is simply dropped without further analysis. If using the proposed
inbound check, possible hijack can be detected.

>  this Update is not allowed to be advertised to this downstream AS. We
> propose to do an outbound check
> enhancement for such advertisement failure.

That is default behavior already in number of shipping BGP implementations. In
some other it depends on the update/peer group configuration.

Yunan: Similarly, currently when the split-horizon is enabled and the described
case is detected, the message is again simply dropped without further analysis.
If using the proposed outbound check, possible hijack can be detected.

r.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 10:22 AM Guyunan (Yunan Gu, IP Technology Research