Hi Yunan,

> Regarding your suggestion of adding a "ECMP" path type, well, the currently
> defined "0x0004 -- Primary Path" path type should do the work. In fact, the
> so-called "Primary Path" in this draft refers to all the ECMP paths
> (including the "Best path"). Of course, we can further work on the naming.

Just to clarify. There can be multiple primary paths and one of it will be the
best path as well. Correct? If yes perfect. Thank you.

> May I ask the use case for your proposal of adding "the reason why it is
> considered ECMP" reason string?
When troubleshooting BGP, one of the most use cases are why a path is not
installed for forwarding. One reason can be because of various configuration
knobs such as:

Configuration Guide - IP Unicast Routing - BGP Configuration - Configuring BGP
Load Balancing
https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/doc/EDOC1100004198/19f9347b/configuring-bgp-load-balancing

- maximum load-balancing (maximum-path)
- load-balancing as-path-relax

At the end we will search within BMP local-RIB collected metrics the same way
as you would do on CLI described in this document. The big difference is that
we will do it across all the routing contexts and across the network. Thus,
much more efficiently.

Configuration Guide - IP Unicast Routing - BGP Configuration - Verifying the
BGP Route Selection and Load Balancing Configuration
https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/doc/EDOC1100004198/6efe04ed/verifying-the-bgp-route-selection-and-load-balancing-configuration

I always have the closed loop operation in mind as well. What BMP metrics do I
need so that I can trigger a configuration change to achieve the desired
intend. The intend is that I want a certain selection of paths be ECMP. Two
possible use cases can happen:

- To many are installed. Some of them are undesired.
- To less are installed. Some should but aren't.

If they are not installed, we should see them in "Non-installed path" or
perhaps "Backup path" or "Best external path".

> Do you have any specific reason string in mind for the ECMP paths?
If they are installed then it would be great to understand in the ECMP decision
process of the router within the routing context which was the last decision
step. For instance:

- AS-PATH relax
- eBGP multipath
- iBGP multipath
- eiBGP multipath

draft-lapukhov-bgp-ecmp-considerations-02 shows what possibilities we have.

If we see a route marked as ECMP with "eBGP multipath" but was not intend to be
part of ECMP, we could remove the configuration line "maximum load-balancing
ebgp" and verify if desired route is now marked as "Non-installed path" or
perhaps "Backup path" or "Best external path".

I hope this makes sense. Feedback very welcome.

Kind regards
Thomas Graf
Network Engineer
Datacenter Functions
Telefon +41-58-223 84 01
Mobile  +41-79-728 80 12
thomas.g...@swisscom.com
Swisscom (Schweiz) AG
IT, Network & Infrastructure
Datacenter Functions
Binzring 17
8045 Zürich
www.swisscom.com
Postadresse:
Binzring 17
8045 Zürich

Thanks a lot for your comments on the draft, and your elaboration on the usage
of Path Marking TLV!

Regarding your suggestion of adding a "ECMP" path type, well, the currently
defined "0x0004 -- Primary Path" path type should do the work. In fact, the
so-called "Primary Path" in this draft refers to all the ECMP paths (including
the "Best path"). Of course, we can further work on the naming.

Thanks for sharing the ECMP reference:
raft-lapukhov-bgp-ecmp-considerations-02. May I ask the use case for your
proposal of adding "the reason why it is considered ECMP" reason string? Well,
it's easy for me to understand that users may wonder why a path is "non-best".
Do you have any specific reason string in mind for the ECMP paths?

BR,

Yunan