Thu, Jul 07, 2022 at 12:21:27PM -0400, Jeffrey Haas:

> > On Jul 7, 2022, at 11:50 AM, Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:
> > But most if not all of those do not affect intradomain traffic engineering
> > rules.
> >
> > So I think Jeff's point is how much trust is needed to overwrite your own
> > policy in selecting exit points and overwriting your EPE policy, TE policy,
> > Local Pref etc ...
>
> Exactly.
>
> > And I think misuse of those can happen even over direct peerings if the
> > overall objective is
> > to avoid double checking the community against prefix lists.
>
> Exactly.

Meaning, please add a note to the security considerations saying don't trust
communities (this one included) from untrusted sources.  See rfc 7999 S6.

What a receiver's policy does with the community (or several other
well-knowns or another AS'es self-defined) is their decision.  The document
clearly dictates that a bgp implementation SHOULD NOT (imo MUST NOT) apply
[automatic] special handling of the community.  I do not understand Robert's
issues with this community.