Totally agree that the original is important, but there are several BGP senders
that do not send the original timestamp.  How do we know if it’s original or
the time when the router/sender sent the BMP message? Right now, we know only
based on known implementations that honor the original vs others that do not.
RFC7854 defines both sender and receiver. The timestamp issue with TSDB is more
on the receiver side.  The receiver should likely add a timestamp if using
TSDB. This would allow the original to still be recorded but have a current
timestamp as well. This is exactly what OpenBMP does and I’m sure other
receivers are doing the same by now.

BTW, there is at least one software based BGP stack that sends BMP messages
with ZERO value for time. I’ve had to update OpenBMP collector to specifically
add a timestamp when this happens.

Thanks,
Tim