Hi Ard, everyone,

On 23. 05. 23 17:31, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> Switch the x86 based EFI platform builds to the generic EFI loader,

We use GRUB as the loader for the Home Assistant Operating System (based on Buildroot, using mostly unpatched GRUB 2 build [1]) and after updating to the latest 2.12 release, this patch (commit cfbfae1aef0694b416aa199291cfef7596cdfc20) has been identified to break boot on Intel Atom NM10, at least with upstream kernel 6.6 with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled. I reproduced it on Intel D525MW board, and there are some more reports from HAOS users on Github [2].

Initially, we decided to revert the patch [3] for the time being, however, while it fixed issue for users running on those rather old boards, it broke boot [4] on the comparatively newer Fujitsu Esprimo Q920. From the user reports, there is no BIOS update available that will make any difference but reverting to a "vanilla" 2.12 fixes that.

Do you have a clue what could have gone wrong, either with the original patch, or why the revert breaks the other platform? I'll be happy to get any details and perform tests on the NM10 board I have here. Alternatively, I can also ask users with the Q920 for more details or do some tests.

Regards,
Jan

[1] https://github.com/home-assistant/buildroot/tree/2024.02.x-haos/boot/grub2
[2] https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/3305