Hi Ard

On 28. 06. 24 19:28, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
Given that you carry your own GRUB build, I would recommend reverting
to non-EFI stub boot for affected Atom systems, identified by DMI
data, which should be easy to access on such systems.

Look for 'goto fallback' in the existing loader logic in
grub-core/loader/efi/linux.c - you'd need to jump to the same point to
use the GRUB 2.06 logic for systems that fail that cannot load the EFI
stub kernel image.

Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a more acceptable solution (than the revert). However, would a quirk like that be acceptable in upstream code as well? In long term, we'd like to only support hardware that is supported in upstream, instead of taking the maintenance burden of carrying custom patches indefinitely, so if it is GRUB's maintainers' decision to abandon support for old buggy hardware, we shall declare it abandoned as well.

Out of curiosity - these are all x86_64 Atoms right? How old are they?

Yes, they are, e.g. Atom D525 [1], but from the reports we've received it seems the problem is with the NM10 chipset [2] in general (as I stated in the first message in the thread). They are ~14 years old so pretty archaic I'd say O:-)

Regards,
Jan

[1] https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/49490/intel-atom-processor-d525-1m-cache-1-80-ghz.html [2] https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/47610/intel-nm10-express-chipset/specifications.html