On Wed, 3 Jul 2024 at 16:25, Jan Čermák <sai...@sairon.cz> wrote:

> Hi Ard
>
> On 28. 06. 24 19:28, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> > Given that you carry your own GRUB build, I would recommend reverting
> > to non-EFI stub boot for affected Atom systems, identified by DMI
> > data, which should be easy to access on such systems.
> >
> > Look for 'goto fallback' in the existing loader logic in
> > grub-core/loader/efi/linux.c - you'd need to jump to the same point to
> > use the GRUB 2.06 logic for systems that fail that cannot load the EFI
> > stub kernel image.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a more acceptable solution
> (than the revert). However, would a quirk like that be acceptable in
> upstream code as well? In long term, we'd like to only support hardware
> that is supported in upstream, instead of taking the maintenance burden
> of carrying custom patches indefinitely, so if it is GRUB's maintainers'
> decision to abandon support for old buggy hardware, we shall declare it
> abandoned as well.

If GRUB no longer works correctly on these systems due to the move to
the generic EFI loader, and we can straight-forwardly identify them
using SMBIOS metadata, I don't anticipate any objections from the GRUB
maintainers.

@Daniel?

> > Out of curiosity - these are all x86_64 Atoms right? How old are they?
>
> Yes, they are, e.g. Atom D525 [1], but from the reports we've received
> it seems the problem is with the NM10 chipset [2] in general (as I
> stated in the first message in the thread). They are ~14 years old so
> pretty archaic I'd say O:-)

If you can get me the output of 'dmidecode' from preferably more than
one variant of such a system, I can hack up a GRUB patch that
implements the SMBIOS matching and the opt-out.