Hi,

on occasion of
  "heap-buffer-overflow in grub-mkrescue.c"
i try to get grub-mkrescue running from git.

My problem is that grub_util_get_pkglibdir() returns
  /usr/local/lib/grub
and grub_util_get_pkgdatadir() returns
  /usr/local/share/grub
which of course do not come with a Debian installation.
So grub-mkrescue produces only a very small ISO with no boot lures or
boot programs. Quite unrealistic for testing.

I was able to overcome this obstacle by
  ln -s /usr/lib/grub /usr/local/lib/grub
  ln -s /usr/share/grub /usr/local/share/grub
but i understand that now my grub-mkrescue actually copies the ISO content
from the Debian installation and not from the git clone.

The manual
  https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub-dev/grub-dev.html
does not give me a clue how i would get the /usr/local/*/grub
directories populated with the files made from the git clone.
I guess "make install" would do it for me, but i fear that this does
too many other things to the GRUB installation of my vanilla Debian.
In general i would prefer to keep the git files away from any system
directory.

So what can i do to make the files built from git available to
./grub-mkrescue built from git, without frankensteining my Debian 12 ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas