David Zeuthen wrote:

> Ideally this one needs to take another parameter indicating whether you
> want 1kb = 1000 bytes or 1kb = 1024 bytes.
>
> The reason is that we want to generate nice display names in the volume
> monitor; for ordinary media you want 1000 (to match the label on the
> media); for optical discs you normally want 1024. gnome-vfs has this
> terrible bug where it uses 1024 so you get the label "61.2 MB" media
> even when the media itself says 64MB. This is kinda like punching the
> user right in the face. It's not a mistake we should make for the new
> shiny gvfs stuff.

Mistake?  That's correct behavior.  It's not our fault the storage
companies lie and use base-10 kB/MB/GB when everyone else uses base-2,
and in fact they've been successfully sued in the US for doing this.
Reporting the *actual* size of the media in base-2 units is the right
way to go everywhere.

Whether to use traditional kB/MB/GB or the (IMO somewhat ridiculous) SI
KiB(which breaks the normal lowercase k = kilo convention for no
reason)/MiB/GiB is another discussion.  (I'd vote no in that discussion,
at any rate.)

        -brian