On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 12:56 +0200, Krzysztof Kosiński wrote:
> 2013/7/18 Emmanuele Bassi <eba...@gmail.com>:
> > support for those features has already been developed and it is going
> > to be added to GAction before we release GLib 2.38 and GTK 3.10, and
> > improved in the future so that it matches with the overall spirit and
> > design of the API. if you want to influence where the API is going,
> > you can start looking at how to port your code, what you think it's
> > missing, and file bugs. dropping on irc.gnome.org, in the #gtk+
> > channel, is also a good idea.
>
> OK, I guess that answers my question.

This was about your comment:
"
GAction has no functionality for accelerators, icons, or automatically
creating widgets. These are very useful in applications which reuse
the same action in more than one place (e.g. in a menu and on a
toolbar). How are we supposed to replace it in new code?
"

I've noticed that there is support now in the GtkBuilder GMenu XML (and
probably therefore in GMenuModel) for:
* accelerators by using, for instance:
  <attribute name='accel'>&lt;control&gt;F></attribute>
* icons by using, for instance:
  <attribute name="icon">/usr/share/my-app/something.png</attribute>

This seems to be (wiki) documentation for them:
https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/GMenu
https://wiki.gnome.org/GApplication/GMenuModel

I don't see a way to specify these for the action in general rather than
just for the particular use of the action in a menu item or tool
button.

And I have not found a way to specify a tooltip for a menu item with
GMenu/GAction/GtkBuilder, as an equivalent for the tooltip parameter to
gtk_action_new():
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/unstable/GtkAction.html#gtk-action-new

--
Murray Cumming