Hi Jürgen,

On 05.05.2010, at 17:33, Jürgen Nicklisch-Franken wrote:

> Hi,
> that's good news that gtk2hs finally will have a release compatible
> with 6.12.
> I've already pointed out that it would be essential to have it work
> with 6.12.2 as well.

Yes, although this could be a ghc problem (or something rather
difficult to solve in Gtk2Hs).

> But what I want to ask is, if a MS Windows installer will be part of
> the release?
> I have tried to install gtk2hs from repo on a Windows machine, and
> failed miserably.
> The difficulties for such an installer are more how to get gtk
> installed.
> So the hurdles of installation on Windows without an installer, seem
> to me
> so high, that gtk2hs can't really claim to support Windows without
> an installer!

Hm, that's disappointing to hear. One aim with the cabal release is
certainly to lower the maintenance by getting rid of the installer.
Did you read the message by Malcolm Wallace:

* I have the C libs for gtk+-2.20, downloaded from www.gtk.org:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtk+/2.20/gtk+-bundle_2.20
.0-20100406_win32.zip

  * It was necessary for me to add ghc-6.12.1/mingw/bin to my PATH,
    so that the "Setup build" step can use the cpp.exe C preprocessor.

...and then apparently everything builds. Maybe we can do something
about using a different cpp (or being clever about finding cpp on
Windows).

> As well it is not nice if developers targeting as well Windows, will
> have to
> wait an unspecified time.
>
> Any idea on this?

With the cabal packages we hoped to just have that: cabal packages.
The question of shipping binary applications is a different one and
consists of copying all .DLLs that are needed.

Cheers,
Axel