Hi Hartmut,

> Assume some program, shell-script, whatever is calling an external program.
> What is the correct way to reference this? Shall it become an absolute
> path, or just the basename.

this depends on what the user may reasonably expect from the script.  If
it’s a core feature of the tool then I would expect to be able to use it
without having to manually install other packages.

If it’s a rare or optional feature it could be fine to use the basename
and assume that the user has the tool installed.

Generally, I try to make sure that required tools are either propagated
or that references to tools are made to absolute file names.

There is no hard rule.

--
Ricardo

  • How to reference ... Hartmut Goebel
    • Re: How to r... Ricardo Wurmus
      • Re: How ... Hartmut Goebel
        • Re: ... Ricardo Wurmus
          • ... Hartmut Goebel
            • ... Ricardo Wurmus
            • ... Ludovic Courtès
              • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
                • ... Ricardo Wurmus
              • ... Hartmut Goebel
                • ... Ricardo Wurmus
                • ... Konrad Hinsen