Jordana said,
On the topic of the south and hoop skirts.... Were the hoop skirts popular later in the south then the north? I mean, our (ok, mine and I am a typical yankee) picture of "THE SOUTH" is alweays with ladies in hoops, but I would assume that the north had just as many ladies wearing hoops at the same time.....

Perhaps we have Scarlett O'Hara to thank for the hoopskirts, especially the barer evening dress worn at the picnic. :-)

The American Civil War marked a great change for the south, and therefore an era greatly identified with the region.

When I think of the real daytime wear, the buttoned up hooped gowns in the sepia toned portraits, I think of Gettysburg, PA. That's probably because it's near me and I've done reenactments there, so it's strictly personal.

     But the fluffy pastel colored ballgowns - that's the south.

     -Carol