Ren. Faires started in the early 1960s, and their founder coined the term "living history".

Wasn't there some early connection with the SCA?

Still, there was a lot of DIY, which I don't think I'm seeing currently as a mainstream movement.

"Wearable art", while not being exactly mainstream is at least common. Places like Michael's craft stores carry supplies for making wearable art, and a few kits for the same.

But what do you call "wearable art"? I'd say it's something more avant-garde, or arty, than a nice but mainstream hand-knitted sweater.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com