Danielle--

There is a simple adjustment you can make to fix this.

Your serger has differential feed (unless it's VERY old), which means
there are 2 sets of feed dogs under the presser foot, and they can be
adjusted to go at different speeds. Depending on the fabric you are
serging, you will need to adjust the differential feed knob one
direction or the other.

Look in your manual--there should be illustrations of wavy edges (like
you got) or gathered edges, and how to adjust the differential feed to
correct each situation.

What I do is use a scrap of my fabric to test before I sew the actual
seam. Then is the edge is ruffling or stretching, I adjust the feed.

If you don't have the manual, check out serger books at the library or
book store, or just experiment with your knob on scrap fabrics. You will
be amazed at what a difference that differential feed makes.There is an
article in Threads Apr/May '00 issue titled "Make Sense of Your Serger's
Differential Feed" that should help.

Taunton published a very good how-to book for sergers, Serging Fine
Fabrics. I've seen it discounted at Hamilton Books.

Kim--who resisted learning to serge for many years before discovering
what a wonderful tool the darn thing is!