> Oh yes please share that info on the list as well. I've been having a
doozy
> of a time trying to figure out how Henry VIII's smocks are done without
> resorting to raglan style sleeves. Any info that can hopefully shed light
> would be wonderful.

http://frazzledfrau.glittersweet.com/mary/index.htm
The Mary of Hungary chemise has the arm gussets go right to the neckline,
you can see the front panels and sleeves are smocked and the gussets left
unsmocked. The back is also smocked I believe.

I'm sure I've linked from there to Cynthia Virtue's site which hosts the
pattern diagram of her chemise and gown.

I made a version of it using the same measurements (Mary and I appear to
have been very similar in height and width...) You can't even tell that the
gussets are there with pleated neckline. I made a backing that was about an
inch deep to secure my pleats to. When it was just a row of fine pleats they
were even less visible.

If you mean high necked shirts.. there are several extant that use a basic
rectangle cut with a slit for the neck, gussets at the shoulders for shape
and the body gathered/pleated to the neckline. I suspect there is a fair
amount of artistic licence in some portraits... The Sture shirt though does
look very fully gathered/pleated though.

michaela de bruce
http://costumes.glittersweet.com