> Hi,
> I saw the most delightfull printed roses velvet today. It is the kind of
> velvet that is wowen into dimentional stripes.
> Dont know the english term for this, and i apologise for asking because
> many
> have asked before, but this velvet wich today is used for trousers and
> jackets, was that used in 18th century?
> If not it is such a shame, it would have ben wonderfull for jackets and
> skirts.........

Bjarne,

We call it corduroy and people have argued that it looks like "cut
velvet".  The "stripes" are called wales and the really thin waled
corduroy is what people say may be period all the way back to the
Renaissance.  I personally haven't seen any examples but I am sure
somebody on the list will have more information.

Diana

www.RenaissanceFabrics.net
"Everything for the Costumer"