Thanks for all the help -

Suzi - thanks for the link to your site: that
crinoline is certainly the shape and style I am going
for and if you've not had any quibbles from museums,
there's no reason why I should from general M.o.t.Ps

Deb,
I didn't see your reply before it was included in a
message so my digest is still skipping but yes, I
think I'll go with Suzi's suggestion initially. I
found some 'roman blind' tape which would do the job
so I just need to check it will take the width of
steel - I may order narrower steel so it can be
enclosed in a tape (at least that way the ends will
look neater).  I found some rather coarse red twill
tape which looks like a narrow version of the stuff
used on this crinoline
http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/11182-popup.html

The measuring tape steel is (over here in the UK) too
wide and does that weird and painful crinkling thing
when I try and measure stuff... not sure I want it
near my legs, drawers or not! I think the piano cables
are about the right size but I'll have to talk to a
friend who owns one first.

Thanks for the Farthingales link - their 'tutu steel'
looks very like what I think the originals were - I'm
happy to be proved wrong but I can't find any pictures
as close as they need to be to be sure.
http://www.farthingales.on.ca/hoopsteel.php

I'll check out their overseas ordering policy if I
can't find a ballet wholesale supplier over here who
can help. We've got a ballet company in Glasgow who
may give me a name, if I ask really nice :-)

Thanks again - I'll be sure to post a link to a photo
when it's done!

Yours gratefully,
Katherine

"A positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will
annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright