At 06:10 AM 3/13/2006, you wrote:
Anyway I have never seen anything about a drawstring that is Medieval or
Renaissance. As a matter of fact something I read said it was the result of
the
"I need 100 chemises fast" mindset of the original Ren Faires. The chemises
I have seen--- and this is only in paintings, mind you-- show no indication
of a drawstring in the neck-- either a high neckline or low neckline.

The only source I know of is the Winter and Savoy book on Renaissance faire costuming. I hate that book, as there are a number of inaccuracies, but it was my first book when I first joined faire. I've since given my copy away.

But thank you for reminding me about this Ren faire garb myth. I have added it to my collection of garb myths that I am working on debunking. I've been so busy looking up pics for my list that I haven't been able to catch up on my e-mail.

Kimiko