To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] to dye for

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Bjarne og Leif Drews wrote:

Not a reply to the previous mail about books, but the head`er made me think about a story i heard about poison dyes. In about 1840ies i heard there was a new invention with a very bright green colour. They made wall hangings with this dyed silks and also it became a very popular colour for fashionable ball dresses. But they didnt realise that it was a very poisonable dye. The skin would consume the poison.
Have anybody other heard this?
It was a story i heard at Gammel Estrup where they have a room with silk tapestries in this collour.

Bjarne

In his book Jim Liles (The Art and Craft of Natural Dyeing) mentions Scheele's green--he references J.N.Napier (A Manual of Dyeing and Dyeing Receipts, 1875) as complaining that Scheele's green poisoned the maker of the dye, the winders of dyed yarn, and the person using the dyed article.

He says it was discovered in 1770, and that Napoleon and a number of his servants in exile suffered from arsenic poisoning possibly from the wallpaper.

He also mentiones lead chromate yellow, that it is poisonous, and dates it to 1840, but he doesn't say whether it's just the dyestuff itself that is poisonous or if the dyed articles are also poisonous.

Pixel/Margaret