From: "raelee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [h-cost] Venetian Masking
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:30:15 -0700

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:47:21 -0800
From: "Sharon at Collierfam.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [h-cost] Venetian research question - need help
To: "'Historical Costume'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I'm curious. Are you making a plaster mold to then cover in whatever the
mask is made of? What do you use for the base (to build upon)?
Sharon, who has made masks, with difficulty, because I didn't have a good
base :)

Patches writes:

I've got 2 methods and neither are what the pro shops use.

Method 1 that I show folks is to build the mask directly on the face using
plaster. This obviously requires a partner.
Method 2 is like method 1 only a encase the face in plaster to make a
negative mold, seal up the holes, lubricate the inside and then pour about
3/4 gal plaster mix into the negative. Then letting it set for 24 hours and
peeling it out of the negative mold.

Both methods allow for a mask that fits the face of the model, but not
anyone else's. The masks that get built can be shaped with protrusions and
etc. quite easily on the face mold with a little planning. I cover my masks
with fabric rather than paint b/c I think it looks better and it make things
easier for me to sew my decorations on as much as possible (I try to use
only a minimum of glue.).

The pro shops first make the entire mask in solid clay, so their original
bust can weigh up to about 5-10lbs. Once the sculpture is complete, it is
encased in a special box and plaster is poured in to fill the whole box.
When the plaster has set, the plaster box is removed and the clay cleaned
out, revealing a negative in the block.  They then pour a glue and paper mix
in to the negative and press it into the negative form with their hands and
I suspect a special tool that allows them to press a uniform backing into
the mask.  Once the mask has set, it is popped out, trimmed and decorated.

If you would like, I can send you a handout on the plaster and decoration
technique that I use.  I've got them drafted up already for the workshops,
so sending the file isn't a big deal.

Patches