On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > (Sample question: How can I be sure that such-and-so-image of the
> > Madonna and Child isn't really Mary Magdalen and her baby by Jesus?)
>
>      Sample answer - what difference does it make when you're
> discussing the clothing?  I'm guessing your lecture is to help sort
> out the real clothing of the time period vs. the icons or identifiers
> of the saints that were not "real" clothes.  Once I figured that out I
> stopped carrying around the dish of eyeballs at SCA events.

Actually, it does matter how you identify a saint, because certain
elements (but not all) are typically symbolic for certain saints, and
they're not always the same ones. The question of "real vs. unreal" images
is only the beginning -- the next issue is whether any elements of the
"unreal" images can be useful in costume research, and if so, how you can
use them and what safeguards you need to apply. But, um, that's a whole
lecture just to give a taste of this.

Anyway, Magdalen often has some of the coolest clothing around, and Mary
has a very specific wardrobe, and the two of them together account for
probably a majority of female religious images in the Middle Ages, so it's
important to distinguish which one is which!

And working in the other direction, often the clothing is part of our clue
to identification. This is a large part of that lecture. So part of my
answer to someone who wants to try to read an image of Mary as being
Magdalen has to do with how we use the clothing symbols to make the
distinction ... and in this case, the questioner wondered whether the
artist was using the clothing either to mask the real identity of the
woman in the portrait, or else to provide clues to it. So you see, it did
directly relate to costume study, and to my lecture topic. But it's a
question that I never would have had to address if some people didn't have
it in their heads that there was a conspiracy in the period to hide a
whole community of people following a different religious truth.

I rather wish that Dan Brown had picked a saint who wasn't quite so
central to costume study. Say, Mary of Egypt.

--Robin