The Broadway Theatre Archive has DVDs of stage plays--from a variety of theaters--from an old TV series. That, they say, is why the images tend to be rather fuzzy. The quality of the performances is all over the map. There is a very good "Tartuffe," an awful "School for Scandal," a good "The Rivals," an interesting "Taming of the Shrew" done in the commedia dell' arte tradition, and a good "Cyrano de Bergerac" set in the 17th century. For modern, there's some good Eugene O'Neill if you like to spend an evening getting depressed (I call him America's Ibsen), and some good Thornton Wilder.

Search Amazon DVDs for "Broadway Theatre Archive," and you'll see dozens more.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Bjarne og Leif Drews wrote:
Hi,
Now this topic is up, does any of you know of any good tv plays to buy on tape or dvd? I remember back some years where i have seen quite many interresting plays or tv dramas from the end of 17th century. I believe it was real old plays from 17th century. There is one special i remember very well, it was gorgeous made with the costumes, but who could this have ben?
It must have ben BBC who made it.

Bjarne