Hi, I have been reading the differing opinions about what to wear. Hadn't thought about the few snobs that I had run into. Usually, no one would hassle you. Especially since you will be new to the group. I have been playing for 3 years and most people have been most kind, even those who would correct something that was "wrong" with my garb. So go out watch, enjoy the event, check out the arts and science, and most of all have fun. Sincerely, theresa

-----Original Message-----
From: Suzi Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Historical Costume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:50:56 +0100
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Tudor Jewellery

 At 13:38 27/04/2006, you wrote:
>While I agree about the clashing metals - I do not about "just >because those who could afford portraits wore it so it could not >possibly be the other" theory...this is the time that lays the >foundation for the middleclasses of the 17th & 18th century - I just >wish Elizabethans had cameras....But if you are dressing your >husband in the clothing of the portrait class - never mind. Have fun >at the event - we are not all stuck-up-boobs as this rule about the >chain implies.
>
>Middleclass Elizabethan in the SCA
>
>Sarah

Thank you for that, Sarah. As my clothing is the sort worn by the lower/middle ranks of people at court - owing to the previous events I have attended - it seemed the best solution to dressing my husband was to dress him to match. We already had a pair of rather theatrical breeches and boots - not Venetians, I'm afraid - but if covered with a jerkin with long enough skirts, they will "do". (He has a natural peascod!) I really can't afford time to make the "real thing" and as he is unlikely to attend any other events, I don't feel the need.

I really am looking forward to it - it's far more interesting trying to work out "our costumes" than doing real work, and I will enjoy it no matter what, but all the helps means that I should not break too many rules.

Suzi