I remember from a young age having a "dress-up" closet made up of less than
perfect vintage clothes my mother had picked up at the second hand store. There
was one very yellow gown made of either silk or satin with a tulle overskirt
and lace over the bodice that I remember well. So I guess I was interested in
costume early on.

  My mother also made my costumes for ballet recitals, horse shows and
halloween as well as some every day clothes, so she helped start my interest in
sewing and making costumes.

  I used to make crude doll clothes, and as it was the fashion at the time,
crochet ponchos for my barbie dolls out of doilies.

  My mom was just beginning to teach me to machine sew when she died so I am
mostly self taught, scorning Home-Ec class to take drafting, and wood and metal
shop.

  I've dabble in costume somewhat, even had a load of fun designing the set and
costumes for a theoretical production of "Much Ado About Nothing" for a class
in college, but it is only recently that I have gotten really interested in
doing truely accurate period costume.

  And I have 4 cats, 2 horses, 2 gold fish and 1 dog. The cats provide way too
much "supervision" and quality control.

  Annette M