>http://www.manchestergalleries.org/costume/object.php?irn=14962&QueryPage=i
> dex.php&themeback=2&CostumeTheme=costume%20sub-theme
> >
> > It is dated 1620 to 1640, but to my eye it looks a bit later.  Does
anyone
> > on the list know anything about this garment, and about how accurately
> it's
> > dated?

> It looks later to me, too, but the 17th century isn't my primary area.
> Heck, it almost looks 18th century-ish to me....

Nah, just look at that shoulder line;) If it's later, it's no later than
1660s or 70s.

It's very similar to the pink stays at the V&A.
http://images.vam.ac.uk/
      Object
      Stays and busk
      Date
      1660-1670
      Techniques
      Pink watered silk (English or Italian), backed with linen, stitched
with pink silk thread and reinforced with whalebone
      (Stays) Edged and decorated with pink silk grosgrain ribbons with
tinned iron points
      Museum Number
      T.14&A-1951
http://images.vam.ac.uk/images/photo/sch/20000504/high/mb37-002.jpg
http://images.vam.ac.uk/images/photo/sch/20000504/high/mb37-001.jpg
http://images.vam.ac.uk/images/photo/pcd/76993272/high/2836-007.jpg

These though are much narrower in the back, so these are probably of a later
date than the Manchester stays. So I'm guessing the Manchester ones are no
later than 1650s...?
I wonder if the Manchester stays are displayed with the opening too wide at
the top, thus changing the shape of them somewhat? Or if the V&A stays are
displayed with the opening too close together?

I adore these two sets of stays, and if I have an excuse to make a pair like
them, I will;)

Though I do have a question, hopefully someone where has studied the art of
making stays; why is it that before the 19thC strips of baleen used for the
bulk of stays were so incredibly narrow? I'm sure you get more flexibility
with it but still have a very supportive garment. But is the benefit so
great for so much more extra work? Was it down to the methods of cutting
perhaps?

Michaela de Bruce
http://glittersweet.com
Checked by AVG Free Edition.