Snip
Though I do have a question, hopefully someone where has studied the art of making stays; why is it that before the 19thC strips of baleen used for the
bulk of stays were so incredibly narrow? I'm sure you get more flexibility
with it but still have a very supportive garment. But is the benefit so
great for so much more extra work? Was it down to the methods of cutting
perhaps?

Michaela de Bruce
http://glittersweet.com

I don't know why it was done that way, but the 1889 corset I own has baleen strips that are just as narrow as the early corsets, and much more narrow than the one I own from the same era that's boned with steel.

Melusine