On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am on the hunt for female Flemish 1420 - 1460 outfits,, I will
> gladly take any titles you wish to send me..

What a great period for artwork! Paintings as well as manuscripts. My very
favorite manuscript for secular clothing of this period -- 200 images, all
with realistic people, most secular, various classes -- is a coffee-table
facsimile of a c. 1430-1440 Flemish ms of Bocaccio's Decameron, ed. Edmond
Pognon, various editions/languages, 1978. I see 30 copies at abebooks
right now, ranging from $6 to $40. There are other wonderful facsimiles
from this period, but this will get you the most bang for the buck in
terms of quantity of images for a low sum.

That was part of a lovely little series of "Illuminated Manuscripts"; I
got several for a song when they were remaindered in about 1979, including
the "Tres Riches Heures," an Italian "Divine Comedy," and a splendid
"Tristan and Isolde." (I skipped an Egyptian Book of the Dead and
something Mayan.)

> I am trying to focus primarily on houpelands (sp?). I am also trying
> to (dis)prove a theory that 'bagpipe' sleeves were only worn by men,
> not women.

Not sure what you mean by bagpipe sleeves, but bag sleeves were plenty
common on women. Look in Margaret Scott's Visual History of Costume: The
14th and 15th Centuries and you'll see English brasses and effigies with
bag sleeves. And there's a nice bag sleeve in Hecyra, an image reprinted
in Marcel Thomas's "The Golden Age" (a nice overview of manuscript
paintings, one of several published by Braziller in, hmm, probably the
1970s). That one is online somewhere; I can't find the nice big version,
but I see a small version of it here:
        http://www.umilta.net/terencechaucer.html
First image on that page -- bag sleeves with fringe/dags down the outer
seam, yum.

> (like on one of the Magi in 'Adoration of the Magi' by Domenico
> Veneziano c1435.. - sorry can't find Url at this moment)

If you mean the magi who has a bag sleeve with a slit in the top, so he
can put his arm out the slit or his hand out the cuff ... not sure if I've
ever seen that particular variation on a woman but I wouldn't rule it out.

--Robin