That is the point. A machine-made sweater that someone gave me that did not cost much, which I dislike so much I have never once worn it in the 7 years or so since it was given to me, and which I am making a final attempt to like and use by dyeing it before throwing it away, is not something I value so much I want to go out and spend money on the very finest, most very appropriate and expensive materials, even if it's just $2 worth of dye and $5 worth of shipping charges. I would throw the sweater out anyway, except my mother gave it to me and she has since died herself (not with Procion MX). She had awful taste in colors and I am sure she gave me an ivory-colored sweater as the one thing she could think of that would please me.

On the other hand, I already have about 15 pounds of different Procion MX dyes available, since I've been doing cotton dyeing projects weekly for the last year and a half. I also have read several Internet articles saying that this is often done and that it can be successful. The problem is most use more heat than I'd like to use washing wool, which, BTW, I do do in tap-cold water.

There's fine art, and then there is salvage. I also usually do not use the very finest fabrics and lace for patching clothes, or go out and buy special materials to do it with. I just use what I have around.

The members of this list are also very quick to criticize each other for not doing things exactly the way they do them. I am not living my life to meet anyone else's standards but my own.

Fran

best, most appropriate materials.

The members of this list are very quick to point out the inappropriate fabrics, methods or styles used to make a costume, so apply the same standard.

Using dye intended for a different product can have poor results that go beyond "not exactly the same colors". You could have issues with colorfastness, lightfastness, fiber damage or failure, crocking and probably others.

Enough acid dye to dye one sweater costs about $2, even in the most expensive color. Why would you use anything that might give you poor results? Just donate the sweater or something.

Denise
Iowa