I'm aware that that there are different dyes available for protein fibers. But according to some websites many people do use Procion dyes on wool, they just don't get exactly the same colors. And I have lots of Procion dyes already, so why buy more dye?

I'm not a chemist. If I value the product I am going to spend time on, then I'm going to use the best, most appropriate materials.

The members of this list are very quick to point out the inappropriate fabrics, methods or styles used to make a costume, so apply the same standard.

Using dye intended for a different product can have poor results that go beyond "not exactly the same colors". You could have issues with colorfastness, lightfastness, fiber damage or failure, crocking and probably others.

Enough acid dye to dye one sweater costs about $2, even in the most expensive color. Why would you use anything that might give you poor results? Just donate the sweater or something.

Denise
Iowa