I have used soda ash on silk with no problems. I must admit I've never tried it on wool. I would call Pro Chemical on the east coast. I order my dye from either them or Dharma and they are very knowledgeable. They will give you the definitive answer you need for dyeing wool. Go to http://www.prochemical.com/

Sylvia Rognstad
Divinity Designs and Emeralds
http://www.d-e-designs.com