I make all my own dress patterns, and I specifically design them so that I can sew straight-to-bias on the skirt area whenever possible. The straight edge goes on the front, bias to the back; to my eye, it hangs best that way, since the skirt sort of tends to flow out behind you better. Another benefit is that your gown will need little if any hanging before being hemmed; I don't even bother any more, since hanging didn't make any visible difference even after weeks. Also, it will make your cutting layouts much more efficient!

-E House