Heather Rose Jones will probably chime in on this one if she sees it -- she
gave a presentation on exactly this issue at Kalamazoo a couple of years ago
(and has just submitted a paper version for a future _Medieval Clothing and
Textiles_).

Basically, what I think she winds up saying is that virtually all the pictorial
examples of women wearing braies in medieval Western Europe turn out to fit
into one of two themes: (1) mythical women such as the Amazon warrior queen
Penthisilea; or (2) "who wears the pants in the family" arguments between women
and men. Neither one of these seems intended as a realistic picture of what
women actually wore.

(Heather, did I summarize this correctly?)