Ah: So you think anything you wish to do and that benefits you is
ethical as long as you don’t get caught?

Anyone who could take my extremely specific statement

 above and make the subsequent sweeping (and very much incorrect)

 inference is not worth engaging in conversation.

--Robin

It's not a broad and sweeping statement. What you seem to have said, in terms of one branch of ethics and law, is that whether a person obeys it depends on whether it is convenient and economical for them to do so, and whether they think the value of any research they may be doing automatically overrides the author's legal and moral rights. Note, I have not attributed this to _your_ actions regarding copyright, but it seems to be a stance you approve, or that you are urging other people to approve. As it's one of the standard copyright pirate arguments, it is not a stance that I can approve.

And not regarding you, but people in general, no, I don't trust my personal property with anyone who says they feel it's OK to steal intellectual property. Of course, I did quit opening my personal library to people many years ago when I found out that one of them walked out with one of my books under her cape because she "couldn't afford it," then bragged to other people about doing so.

As for engaging me in conversation, you have already taken the absurd stance of talking about my statements "behind my back" as it were, to a group where you know very well I am present. So it seems that even though you are engaging me in conversation, you will not admit to condescending to do so. I have no idea why you can't say whatever you have to say clearly and directly. However, your obfuscating your statements with "it's just for other people's education," and "copyright is all so unclear and hard to understand anyway," does not make it easier for me to understand what you mean.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com