I find it interesting that you mention karma because this type of conundrum has
come up on several of my (very diverse) lists recently.  Perhaps it is coming
around as it was going around.
  At any rate, while I agree with you that Fran takes unacceptable liberties
(ie. name calling and belittling) in her communications with others on this
list, I am a believer in the right to free speech.  There are even times when I
enjoy what she has to say (for example, retrospectives on past fashions). The
best solution would be if she cared enough to study and learn polite behavior,
second best would be to take rants off list.The third solution if the above
fail is not to engage in struggle with her, which is what many of us already do
with filters, etc.  In the old days it was called "shunning" and is quite
effective, especially over the internet where we can walk away even more
effectively than in person.  In modified form, it is a time-honored parenting
technique.

My two cents,
Laurie (mother of 4)