It does indeed look like damask to me, also, but I'm not an expert.  Also, the
second red "stripe" - it looks to me like it's been laid over the damask and
"reverse appliqued" (design cut out of the red and stitched rather than the
yellow being applied on top of the red).  What do you think?  It's a beautiful
gown and hope to see pics of the finished product.

  Shirley

Beteena Paradise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  ... I am considering a German gown similar to Duchess Katherine von
Mecklenburg. http://www.abcgallery.com/C/cranach/cranach55.html

The yellow looks like a damask to my eyes. Do you think it is? Or is it
embroidery? Stamped velvelt? If I do it in a decent weight damask (I already
have a nice golden yellow cotton damask), do you think that a silk velvet would
have enough body to it to work right with the damask? Or would something else
work better?

test'; ">