I have a page of information on 1890s men's evening attire that may be
helpful, it has no photographs (yet) but it has original period
illustrations:

http://www.vintagevictorian.com/costume_1890_men.html

Also our dance group's 1890s costume page has a description of men's
evening attire at the bottom of this page:

http://www.vintagedancers.org/costume_1890.html

Some general guidelines:
In the 1890s the tuxedo was very new, and considered as more informal
evening wear.

With tails, white ties seem to be pretty much universal, but both
white and black vests are seen, and they are usually cut fairly low.
Cummerbunds were not yet in fashion.

Collars are generally stand-up collars though occasionally a fold-over
(or very early wing tip) collars are seen, though they are pretty
rare.

Vest waistlines were not yet pointed, and ideally should not protrude
below the bottom of the tailcoat front.  This requires higher
waistlines on the trousers, closer to the natural waist than modern
fashions, for proper coverage (one of the hardest details to reproduce
using modern trousers, and modern men's ideas of where their waists
actually are:~).

Katy

> My students are designing a production of "Dracula" (1897) and are required
> to do research and designs for the costumes.  There has been a lot of
> discussion of vest colors and appropriate coats for various occasions.  I
> learned
> (Esquire Book of Men's Clothing, mostly) that the rule of thumb is white  tie
> and vest with tails, black tie and vest with tux.  A man in black tie  and
> tails
> would be a servant ie butler or waiter.  So my students have  found a lot of
> research contrary to what my assumption was.  I have seen  pictures of white
> vest and black tie with tails, white vest and white tie with  tuxedos, black
> vest and tie with tails on gentlemen who would never be mistaken  for servants
> and all other permutations.  The research they have found is  secondary,
> meaning drawings from the period rather than actual  photographs.  Have I
> been wrong
> all these years?  Also, it was my  understanding that tuxedos were not
> considered proper in the presence of  ladies.  Tails were required for those
> occasions, although I do understand  that this convention gradually faded
> away.  Can
> someone elucidate me?
>
> Cheryl Odom
> College of Santa Fe

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.