2007/12/7, Ruth Anne Baumgartner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Suggestion from a costumer rather than a bride or a clothing historian:
>
> Make the full skirt as a removable separate skirt: attach the
> appropriate crinoline.
> Under that, as an underskirt, wear a skirt more appropriately
> configured for the tango.
>
> Imagine the gasp and the amazement when in the middle of the
> reception you rrrrip! off your skirt to reveal...another skirt
> underneath, and proceed to capitalize on the sexy moment by breaking
> into a passionate tango. What theater!
>
> Decorum may be restored by replacing the top skirt and crinoline.
>
> Two cents from me! Main criterion for any decision: have a good time.
>
> --Ruth Anne Baumgartner
> scholar gypsy and amateur costumer

:-) So cool!

Ruth, that was precisely the idea I had a few weeks ago when I went running.

Imagine even this:

In some wedding parties it's common to auction away the garter of the bride.
Every time someone makes the bid, her skirt is lifted a few inches more, to
expose more of the leg, until finally the garter is visible.

Now imagine this same bride later just throwing off the skirt that was
lifted so ceremoniously and hesitantly before.
Hm, I guess the bidders would feel cheated... :-)

I don't know if they are planning one of those auctions for me though... but
I've been instructed to wear a blue garter (another tradition), and I can
only find white, black, and red ones! Geez, another thing I have to make
myself...

The idea of dramatically taking off the wide overskirt is great. It should
even close with velcro, for the nice ripping sound when you rip it open.

But I have tried to imagine it, looked at fabrics, and decided that I won't
have time to do that, I'm flat out already with doing one skirt only...

oh just if there wasn't so much choice...

:-)
B M