Ok, here's what the book says "The hood 'opposite' if intended for winter wear
or a sea voyage.  It is "of dark brown, green, or blue silk; the upper point or
fauchon, the curtain and the brim, trimmed with quilling of ribbon the same
shade.  It is becomming as well as servicable shape, and the short, round
corners make it decidely new."

  So, from what I see, the 'fauchon' looks like it's just what you say, to
cover the center seam of the hood.  www.victorianmillinery.com has a picture of
one/pattern, but it doesn't show the back...

  I'll peruse the other books I have and see if I can find something better.
Do you need a copy of this picture?  I can scan it at work tomorrow and send it
to you.

Sylvia Rognstad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  My question concerns the description of the hood. I'm wondering what
the top "flap" is for, other than pure decoration. I think the quote
calls it a "fauchon", whatever that is. The only thing I could figure
out is that it covers up what has to be a center seam that goes over
the top of the head.

Sylrog