What I ended up doing was to pattern a large hood, then draw it up in pleats to fit the head at the nape of the neck. I used a ribbon to hold the pleats in place with the ends tying under the neck. At first I had thought the ribbons extended from the bottom of the cuff or brim but I see in the sketch that the ends of such brim are free, so I figured the ribbon ties must be coming from the pleated area.

I am making the hood to go with an old mid 19th c outfit I built years ago for use now in a workshop I'm giving. I was going to make a bonnet but I haven't been able to find one that shows the basic understructure from that period and they all look made out of straw anyhow. Does anyone know, for future reference, of any patterns for bonnets from this period?

Sylrog